Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Getting in Shape!...Day 11!

I have to tell you that in my life time I have never paid a $100.00 for a pair of running shoes.  But Becky came home with a pair of ASICS that were just that!  But she had some sort of discount coupon and some other items that she used and was able to purchase these fine shoes for half price!  I knew that I would need a 'good' pair so I did not fuss too much but here they are!  Thank you Jesus for providing for my feet!


For the next two days, I did not walk.  I was nursing two different blisters and getting my strength back.

So on the 14th I rose early and determined that I was going to push farther this day and maybe, possibly reach the goal of 20 miles.  I did not know it at the time but it was the longest day yet for any walk that I had taken!

I started out this day right at 6:00AM and headed straight West out Tireman.  Then when I got to Schaefer, I had fully intended to go all the way over to Greenfield and cut down to Ford Road and take my usual bathroom break at WalMart!  God bless WalMart.  But when I reached Schaefer, I sensed that Jesus said to me 'turn left here...', so I did and wound my way from there over to Warren Avenue and then down Greenfield.  When I reached Paul Street which separates Dearborn from Detroit, I cut over toward WalMart because nature was calling and calling really loud!  I took about 10 minutes and headed out again Westward on Ford across Southfield to Hines Drive.

I have to say right here that when you start up Hines Drive it is really a nice view!  For me it changes my whole attitude about walking and in some ways I can relax and get into a smooth gate with my stride and just GO!  This day I was in a groove and seemed to make good time.  I consumed a bunch of water but was able to encourage myself and keep up a stiff pace.

Eventuallly I was able to pass my last place to stop at Nankin Mills.  At this point I was tired but excited that I  made it back here and still had enough stamina to push on!  Nankin Mills for me at that point was just a bit over 15 miles and I wanted to push on to 20 but I was not sure... but I kept trekking!

This day it was over 6 and a half hours from start to finish and after I got home and checked the map I have pushed to just over 18 miles!  When I left Nankin Mills I called a close friend who works in Plymouth at a sign shop called Upper Level Graphics and asked him if he wanted to get lunch.  So he came and picked me up on the side of the road on Hines Park.  20 miles today would not be had but I was really glad to see Matt!
We went and got a sub sandwich and went back to his shop and ate lunch.  Air conditioning is so nice!  I called Becky and she came and got me.

This is the the ceiling on what I have done with my walking in my life!  18 miles is a long way but I am looking forward to pushing past that mark and reaching 20.  I thought that by the end of the week I would have reached that goal but not yet!

I am mentally working at actually walking 300 miles in practice before I actually walk the 300 miles for "Trey's Trek" in September.  At this point we are a wee bit more than 6 weeks out from the start of the event so I think that I can do it!

Still walking, with my feet on the ground!

Simply Trey

No comments:

Post a Comment