Monday, August 6, 2012

DAY SEVEN, WEEK TWO,  
Monday, September 12th! of           Trey's Trek cont.....  
Trey Hancock, Bill Severance and Mark Kellogg
getting ready to commence the 2nd week of Trey's Trek...
After two days of 'chillin' out' in Saginaw with Family, we headed out toward Freeland, MI just up the road from Saginaw Township.  

Today was to the be beginning of the second week of walking.  I have to tell that in my 'long legged life' (Gran'ma Turner used to say that!) I have never walked so far!  I am still amazed at the wonder of it all!  It is something that is doable!  It can be done!  I know because I did it!  I walked over a hundred miles in one week!  It still boggles my mind...
Great Expectations!
Today after looking at the map... just a bit over 8 miles will get us to our first destination in Freeland, MI where we will stop and eat lunch and pray for Dearborn.

I preached at the A/G Church there yesterday and wore my best 'over-hauls'!  Now I guess if The Father is 'working' and Jesus is 'working,' that I need to be working too!  And dressing for 'work' in the proper clothing is important!  So there you go...!  But now and then... I wear a tie so folks who 'thank' that going to church without one... 'ain't proper'!  But then 'the tie' usually feels... out of place, knowing that I am going to be working while I am there!  So... New Overalls, and a good looking Tie are a good mix and helps satisfy all the cultural norms!  I work 'rilly' hard a pleasing ever'one!!!  But I do have to admit that overalls, a tie and a 'hatta' does stir up a bit of emotion!  But one thing is for sure!  You have people's attention!  For instance...

There was a man 'Up North' one time who wanted to fight me, years ago, because I wore that 'hatta' in church.  He came right up to the pulpit and said... "who let you in here?"  "Does the Pastor know who you are?"  "Are you a Christian?  Man... I have to tell you, he had excitement in his eyes!  I thought that we were going to get into it right there in Church!  And I was the special speaker too!  He didn't think I was so 'special!'  I thought to my self... well, here we go!!! 

After a few minutes he did back down but he told me some months later, when I saw him at another church event, that he was 'sorry' and that he did not understand what I was saying because of what I was wearing!  

It is interesting to note that I had actually preached about 45 minutes on the awesome 'Love of Jesus' and the importance of reaching other folks outside of ourselves and sacrificing who we are for 'their sakes'!   It just goes to show you that 'what covers us, can color us'.  This is why I try to listen when I am talking to people and hear what they are saying, especially those who are from a different cultural context.  

But this does not mean I turn into a commelian!  In fact, if I change who I am just for the other person...I am not being true to myself and or the other person!  Now this does not mean that because I am aggravated and acting like a royal knuckle head that what folks witness at that point is who I really am... NO!  A thousand times no!   

Behaving properly according the Word of God and the promptings of the Holy Spirit should always be the standard.   But making yourself out to be something that you are not... is a bunch of 'huie!"  Jesus made you who you are!   Listen... Culture is important...EVEN YOUR OWN CULTURE!  Don't ever let anyone tell you that you are insignificant or unimportant.  Cultures are like families.  Everyone has one and they are unique.  What throws off the balance in who you are, in your culture... is sin!  It makes a muck of everything!  Steering clear of it is well advised!  It not only affects you but all those around you!  So for what it is worth, get right! ... act right! ... and make HIM happy with you!  Otherwise you won't really know who you are, or for that matter... understand anyone else either!  

"SO!"  There....   Like Paul S. says all the time! 

"...there you go...!"

With my feet still on the Ground!

Simply Trey

2 comments:

  1. I think you need to stop in to Prayer and Praise Assembly of God in Ludington, MI. Ludington is located on the beautiful shoreline of Lake Michigan....... :)
    www.pandp.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome but it is too far North for our scheduled route! Pick a day... come down and walk with us and bring some folks with you. Then at the end of the day we will pray!
    Trey

    ReplyDelete