Saturday, July 9, 2011

Getting in Shape!... Day 7

Today I was charged up in my mind to be able 'sttrreettcchh this walk out' and go farther than I have walked on any previous days up to now! I was thinking about walking down to Van Born and Telegraph from my house on Tireman.   That would have been 10 miles one way in itself!  I had talked to Pastor Joe about giving me a ride home afterwards but today the thought came to me to go check out the first leg of "Trey's Trek" and see what it would be like! 

I had alread mapped out the route using Google Maps and it looked simple enough but when I actually set my feet on the path that goes up Edward Hines Drive, I did not realize how really nice that portion of the Trek would be!   The senery was nice, people were walking, riding their bikes and jogging etc,...! 

Running the length of Park is an 8' wide asphalt track that is brand new in the places that I walked.  In fact, one portion of the track, a work crew of men were resurfacing the track.  When I say 'Brand New' I mean like -'they are putting it down as I write this'... kind of "brand new!" 

To say the least I really enjoyed walking up Edward Hines Drive. The Park is well maintained and taken care of!

When I started out at 6:00AM on this Friday, the phrase "...every place where you put your foot..." came to mind.  It was like drinking a jar of honey!  My mind was surging!  So I just enjoyed the thoughts and allowed the encouragement to come! 

Then as I walked from my house over toward our office on Michigan Avenue an older person passed me on the sidewalk and asked me "about my skis..."  For me this is interesting and funny!  This is the second or third time that an older person has commented specifically about the 'walking sticks' in reference to skiing!  Young folks don't say anything or don't seem to even notice! 

So as I  am walking West on Michigan Avenue from Wyoming, I was thinking about asking people to come and pray with us at different locations, every evening along our route of travel for Trey's Trek.  Just hoping that the example of us walking to Mackinaw from Dearborn would translate into the thought... 'well, If they can walk from Dearborn to here, we can certaintly ride our cars to a location close to us to pray with them for their city and the planting of the church there!'  

Then, I reached the office on Michigan Ave and took a break for 10 minutes or so and then headed out again.  The Scripture "Let this mind be in you that was also in Christ Jesus..." came to mind!  Boy, is that refreshing!  HIS attitudes, which lead to HIS actions, which lead to HIS results, which lead to awesome existance!  Which is a place of  "living in HIS presence!"  Hmmmm!  JESUS!

Then I got to thinking about a song I had not thought of in years!  A song that a fellow named Walt Mills used to sing, called... "I'm on my way to Heaven", and the words go.... And the journey's geting sweeter every day, I'm walking with Jesus, talking with Jesus, all along the way, my soul get's so happy... well anyway!  Old memories!  But an awesome song!  He had such a massive baratone voice to go with it too! 

So as I passed Ford Word Headquarts just down from our property I turned up Evergreen to the entrance of the Henry Ford Mansion and walked pass that house at the back of U of M Dearborn to the beginning of the 8' wide asphalt track that is the start of Edward Hines Drive (trail).  It is a really nice place to walk, or jog or ride a bike! 

Anyway... after breaking out of the woods behind U of M Dearborn I crossed under the bridge at Ford Road and the Park opened up and followed the Rouge River (Middle Rouge) up through the country side.  This Park is amazing!  It actually cuts a path right down the middle of the Metro Area and if you were just dropped into it and started walking, you would never know that you were 'not in the country side' but in reality some where else like... the Metro Area of Detroit!  I even saw a deer that had been hit by a car sometime yesterday after I had walked through there.  On my way in...walking, the deer was not there but after Becky picked me up we noticed it driving back out!  It had been struck sometime after I had walked by!  Also This river is the main water shed for this part of Michigan.  In May and June this whole area was under water because of the 'water run off' from all of the storms and rain that we had during that time!  It may not be the most picturesque river in the world but it plays a major part in our ecology here in the area!  There has to be a lesson in that somewhere! probably... "Purdy is as purdy does!"

As I walked, I crossed Outer Drive and passed Helms Haven, a wonderful Pic Nic shelter where for the 4th of July we had a gathering there called "Oasis."  It was really enjoyable! 

The walk this day had me going in the direction away from the Sun and the back of my neck was feeling the heat! (literally!)  So I turned around my "Auburn University" NCAA Division 1, 2010 National Football Championship hat, so that the bill of the hat would throw a shadow down over my neck just enough to block the Sun from blistering me!  (Ya'll do know that Auburn University's Football Team won the NCAA DIVISION 1 Nation Football Championship this year, don't you!-Back in the mid 70's, I played football there!  WAR EAGLE!)  Just thought ya'll needed that piece of information!  It's important in the Historical scheme!!!  LOL!

So this day, I was determined to push past my previous 13 mile mark in walking....  When I got finished, I had walked from my house on Tireman Ave and Wyoming, down to Michigan Ave and up to Merriman Road on Edward Hines Drive.  It totaled right at 14.13 miles!  For this is the 7th Day of conditioning in getting ready for Trey's Trek on Monday, September 5th, 2011!

When I finished, I sat at a table on the side of the road and waited for my sweet, wonderful, awesome, beautiful, thoughtful, etc, etc, etc,... Wife to come and get me!  She did and I was able to get into the car and she brought me home so I could greet a package of SYNFLEX that was delivered to our house sometime in the AM!  Halleluia!  That stuff is very helpful in keeping this old body going (or atleast not hurting so bad afterwards)!  Thank you Jesus!

Getting there with our 'Feet on the Ground'

Simply Trey

No comments:

Post a Comment